So, This is The Hobbit

>> Saturday, December 22, 2012

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
Rated PG-13 for extended sequences of intense fantasy action violence, and frightening images.

It doesn't matter what I think.
Because of  loyalty to Tolkien and to the previous, well-done movie trilogy, this movie will be heralded as "not as good as The Lord of the Rings, but alright," and people will still flock to see it.
But all I can say is that Tolkien did not deserve that.
It starts out well enough, what with the prologue, and the dwarves barging in uninvited to Bilbo's home and singing, "That's what Bilbo Baggins hates!" And Martin Freeman and Richard Armitage fit their roles perfectly. It seemed, then, that the movie was going to be alright.

But then the quest began and so did my disappointment.
Unnecessary characters who weren't in the book, unnecessary fight scenes, and far too much emphasis on the necromancer--who only gets a passing mention in the book. The movie was very BUSY, with so many fights and  battles and whatnot, so that throughout all the busy-ness, the heart of the story was ultimately lost. Much of it felt like filler, like Jackson was attempting to cram in as much as possible in order to make part 1 of a simply-told children's book a three-hour long explosion.
(If that does little to convince those who have no interest in the books, then may I say how fake the CGI orcs and goblins looked? And the goblins were quite unbearable to watch, as their design made them much more gag-inducing than Jackson's previous creations.)

It's a shame the way it turned out, and I'm afraid I won't be seeing this again.
I still love Tolkien, however, and will forever remain true to the previous movie trilogy. This film, however, seems to have no part with them.

Verdict: You'll probably go see it anyway, but if the book is dear to your heart I advise you look elsewhere for a true adaptation.
Grey Travel Rating: 2/5
Special Effects: 2/5
Plot: 3/5
Characters: 4/5
Acting: 5/5
Objectionable Content: An obese goblin's stomach is sliced, a couple of references to the nether-regions. 

6 Comments:

Marian December 22, 2012 at 5:20 PM  

I'm sorry you didn't like it! :( I agree with what you said about the "busy-ness" - it did seem like a lot. Maybe in the next two films the plot will regain focus - I would expect them to at least be more serious than Part I, and more like LOTR.

Sananora December 22, 2012 at 7:41 PM  

I thought it was good.
I must say that even though the necromancer part was not significant in The Hobbit book, it is quite significant in Middle Earth as a whole.
So, yes, it might not be totally like The Hobbit book, but that is because it gleans part of the plot line from Tolkein's other work about Middle Earth.

Celtic Traveler December 25, 2012 at 1:11 PM  

The thing is, if I don't like part one, then there's very little chance that I'll go see part two.

Tasha January 4, 2013 at 7:03 PM  

Yes! Someone else who enjoyed the first part and thought it went downhill from there. I did enjoy the movie very much, but once they began on the quest part it did get really busy. Way too many unnecessary fight scenes, in my opinion.
I am glad I saw it though, and I probably will see it again because I did love Martin Freeman and Richard Armitage in those roles. Excellent acting.
Great review:)
~Tasha~

Zylph February 2, 2013 at 12:23 AM  

I just cannot believe they are splitting it into three movies!

One or at the most two would have improved the pacing by tons.

But the acting. =D

rosy July 18, 2022 at 3:45 AM  

s009v6slkcw956 sex dolls,cheap sex toys,sex toys,wholesale sex toys,realistic dilldos,sex chair,anal toys,fantasy toys,Rabbit Vibrators t328r9zffhy414


I Am An Otter

You're an otter, mate! Another good friend of Redwall, you are a natural swimmer and a deadly fighter especially with a long bow or javellin. Camp Willow is your home, just as Redwall is your second home. You have a good heart and a strong sense of loyalty. You absolutely love Shrimp and Hotroot soup, living by the motto "Ain't nothing 'otter for an Otter!".

  © Blogger templates Romantico by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP