Swallows and Amazons Forever

>> Saturday, October 23, 2010

Swallows and Amazons
by Arthur Ransome

When the Walker children row out to an island on the lake, they aren't children. They're explorers, catching sharks, diving for pearls, and generally turning everything into an adventure. But when two harum-scarum "pirate" girls claim that Wild Cat Island is their own, that's where the real adventure begins.

After a fantastic and glorious war, they team up against a greater enemy, the beastly Captain Flint (alias Uncle Jim). There are boat-chases, treasure-hunts, and real-live burglars.
Not to mention loads of fun.

I can't remember the last time I enjoyed a book so much!
They totally reminded me of myself when I was a kid. The way children think was depicted so perfectly, what with the grown-ups being "natives" and the many innocent yet swashbuckling adventures.
It was an absolute joy from beginning to end. I simply could not put it down.

Do I recommend it? You bet I do!

Objectionable Content: None

Related Reads:
The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson
Bridge to Terebithia by Katherine Peterson

0 Comments:


I Am An Otter

You're an otter, mate! Another good friend of Redwall, you are a natural swimmer and a deadly fighter especially with a long bow or javellin. Camp Willow is your home, just as Redwall is your second home. You have a good heart and a strong sense of loyalty. You absolutely love Shrimp and Hotroot soup, living by the motto "Ain't nothing 'otter for an Otter!".

  © Blogger templates Romantico by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP