It All Ends

>> Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2
Rated PG-13 for some sequences of intense action violence and frightening images.
(Review contains no major spoilers)

To be perfectly honest, I really disliked Part 1. It was dull, dark, and had no laughs whatsoever. It was so disappointing that I was more apprehensive than excited for the eighth and final movie.
But anyone with similar feelings need not fear.
Part 2 is a worthy ending and then some.

Unlike Part 1, this movie had plenty of both action and humor, two necessary ingredients in good movie-making. Part 2 was also a major tear-jerker. So many parts, mostly involving the death of beloved characters, sent me sobbing. And the cinematography was amazing, as well as the musical score.

The scene where they robbed Gringotts was brilliant. They couldn't have done it better. The dragon was wonderfully realistic, and almost enough to bring back my childhood dreams of riding one.

The Battle of Hogwarts was phenomenal. I literally gasped aloud at the very sight of the beloved Quidditch field burning.
I always like Mcgonagall, but even more so in this movie as she completely took charge in the defense of Hogwarts. When we weren't cheering her on, we were cheering for Neville's heroism. And I was extremely pleased to find Luna playing a very active role in the movie.
And Ginny was actually a very good actress in this one.
I won't mention anything about Ron and Hermione's kiss. Let's just say it was perfect, especially as I've been waiting for four years to see it (What can I say? I'm a hopeless romantic.)

I also will not say a thing about the final showdown. All I can say is that it is that it was, well, amazing.

When the words "19 years later" came on the screen, everyone in the theater leaned forward.

There were a few things I didn't like. There was a rather grisly shot of Voldemort walking among dead bodies (there's quite a lot of blood). And it was a bit weird when Harry and Voldemort were flying through the air. I liked the Mrs. Weasely vs. Bellatrix moment. Although, admittedly, it was far better in the book.
But that was it.

Well, what else can I say?
Harry Potter is over. It was a big part of my life, and now it is finished.
Ten years and eight movies worth of memories.
One can't help but feel a little bitersweet.



Favorite Line:
Minerva McGonagall: I've always wanted to use that spell.


Verdict: Go see it! (Obviously. It's the last Harry Potter movie. Why wouldn't you?)
Grey Travel Rating: 4/5
Special Effects: 5/5
Plot: 6/5
Characters: 5/5
Acting: 4/5
Objectionable Content: Voldemort's grisly scene afore-mentioned, and uses of the B-Word and H-word.

0 Comments:


I Am An Otter

You're an otter, mate! Another good friend of Redwall, you are a natural swimmer and a deadly fighter especially with a long bow or javellin. Camp Willow is your home, just as Redwall is your second home. You have a good heart and a strong sense of loyalty. You absolutely love Shrimp and Hotroot soup, living by the motto "Ain't nothing 'otter for an Otter!".

  © Blogger templates Romantico by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP