Book Questionnaire

>> Thursday, January 12, 2012

Got this tag from All That is Gold (where else do I get these great tags?)

1. Favorite childhood book?

The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis.

2. What are you reading right now?

Rob Roy by Sir Walter Scott, Save the Cat! Strikes Back by Blake Snyder (the first book being one that every writer should read), and The Oxford Book of English Verse.

3. What books do you have on request at the library?

The Mansion by Henry Van Dyke.

4. What do you currently have checked out at the library?

Rob Roy by Sir Walter Scott and The Island of Dr. Moreau by H. G. Wells.

5. Do you have an e-reader?

Heavens, no! I loathe e-readers with a passion. Some technology scares me, and it scares me even more when they mess around with books.
But e-readers can be good for some people, though...

6. Do you prefer to read one book at a time, or several at once?

I used to read at least five at a time, but over the past year I've started to just focus on one or two books at a time.

7. Can you read on the bus?

Yes. And in the car. I hear a lot of people get carsick when they do this, but I've never had that problem.

8. Favorite place to read?

On my couch next to the wide, bay window. Particularly when it rains or during a sunset.

9. Do you ever dog-ear books?

Yes--thus earning me the ire of every book-lover out there. (They're small dog-ears.)

10. Do you ever write in the margins of your books?

I just make little marks to indicate my favorite quotes, but I don't write in them.

11. What makes you love a book?

Character arcs and lots of great emotional struggles. Oh, and battles.

12. What will inspire you to recommend a book?

If I absolutely love it.

13. Favorite genre?

Fantasy! What else?

14. How do you feel about giving bad/negative reviews?

I feel justified, but I won't ever post negative reviews because it's just sort of...negative. I'll talk about it with my friends and family, or just warn them to not read it.

15. Favorite Poet?

I hate horror, yet I love Edgar Allen Poe. I also love Wadsworth and Tennyson.

16. How many books do you usually have checked out of the library at any given time?

Seven is the highest I allow myself to go.

17. How often have you returned books to the library unread?

Only if I don't like it will I return it unread, which is sort of often.
18. Favorite fictional character?

Aragorn.

19. Favorite fictional villain?

Captain Nemo from 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. He's the most interesting villain I've ever come across. I despise him and yet I can't help but pity him.

But if we're talking about giving an award to "Most Despicable Villain in Literature" then I'd have to say Count Olaf from A Series of Unfortunate Events.

20. Books I’m most likely to bring on vacation?

Whatever I'm currently reading. Or The Hounds of The Mórrígan by Pat O'Shea. Or the first two Ranger's Apprentice books (first two are great, but I don't like the rest of the series.)

21. The longest I’ve gone without reading.

A month. (Shame!)

22. Name a book that you could/would not finish.

Not to bash The Hunger Games (it's not that I disapprove of it or anything) but I couldn't get past the first chapter. Dystopian novels are not my thing.
For all you fans--good for you, it's just not my cup of tea, so to speak.

23. What distracts you easily when you’re reading?

I'm not easily distracted while I'm reading. I could be stuck in a noisy room and still be able to read. But I can be distracted if there's a repetitive noise going on, like a buzzing sound or a faucet dripping.

24. Favorite film adaptation of a novel?

Lord of the Rings. Didn't see that coming, did you? :)

25. Most disappointing film adaptation?

Inkheart. Dustfinger was great, but the movie made it look like a magic kiddie movie, and not the Fantasy Epic it is.

26. What would cause you to stop reading a book half-way through?

Swear words, fake religions in Fantasy, or just general bad content. Or if a book's too weird (why I stopped reading the Vampirates series.)

27. Do you like to keep your books organized?

I'm not a neat person, but books are the only things I manage to keep tidy. 

28. Do you prefer to keep books or give them away once you’ve read them?

If I like it, I keep it. If I hate it I'll be giving it away to the first person I can. But that isn't usual as I never buy a book I hate.

3 Comments:

Celtic Traveler January 12, 2012 at 5:47 PM  

Steal away! :)

Marian January 12, 2012 at 9:38 PM  

It was fun reading your answers! :) I agree with you on a lot of them. And if you decide to write a review of Rob Roy, I'd love to read it!

Artisan of the Shire January 16, 2012 at 9:25 AM  

You're spot on about Count Olaf. ;)


I Am An Otter

You're an otter, mate! Another good friend of Redwall, you are a natural swimmer and a deadly fighter especially with a long bow or javellin. Camp Willow is your home, just as Redwall is your second home. You have a good heart and a strong sense of loyalty. You absolutely love Shrimp and Hotroot soup, living by the motto "Ain't nothing 'otter for an Otter!".

  © Blogger templates Romantico by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP