Irish Reading

>> Saturday, March 17, 2012

Property of National Geographic
Need to curl up with a good book this St. Patrick's Day?
Believe it or not, but I've got a list of just a few of my favorites. (I know, I know. I'm addicted to lists.)

The Hounds of the Mórrígan by Pat O'Shea (The book to read on St. Paddy's Day)
Irish Fairy Tales by James Stephens (Be sure to get the version illustrated by Arthur Rackham)
Irish Fairy and Folk Tales by W.B. Yeats (In fact, anything by Yeats brings Ireland to life)
Titanic: The Long Night by Diane Hoh (The Titanic was built in Ireland, and many of the principal characters are Irish)

Heck, even these children's books are fantastic:

A Pot O' Gold by Kathleen Krull
Traditional Tales from Long, Long Ago by Philip Wilson
Tales from Celtic Lands by Caitlin Matthews
Lucy Dove by Janice Del Negro
Fiona's Luck by Teresa Bateman

3 Comments:

Deborah S. Dahnim March 17, 2012 at 1:09 PM  

Looove the picture! Ireland is so beautiful and I love that castle.

Those sound like great books--I'll have to check them out sometime! I've heard of The Hounds of the Mórrígan before . . .

Happy St. Patrick's Day, Celtic Traveler! :D

All the best from your fellow Celt,
~Deborah S. Dahnim

Deborah S. Dahnim March 17, 2012 at 1:12 PM  

Oh, and I meant to also mention some fun news: The Hobbit will be translated into Irish!

If there's one book in one foreign language I need, it's An Hobad:
http://www.evertype.com/books/hobad.html

:)

Celtic Traveler March 17, 2012 at 2:07 PM  

The Hobbit in Irish?!
I need that.
Really bad.


I Am An Otter

You're an otter, mate! Another good friend of Redwall, you are a natural swimmer and a deadly fighter especially with a long bow or javellin. Camp Willow is your home, just as Redwall is your second home. You have a good heart and a strong sense of loyalty. You absolutely love Shrimp and Hotroot soup, living by the motto "Ain't nothing 'otter for an Otter!".

  © Blogger templates Romantico by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP