Brave: A Review

>> Wednesday, June 27, 2012

I have just one thing to say:
Scotland!!!
Okay, now that that's done, on with the review.

Brave
Rated PG for some scary action and rude humor.

The first thing to recommend Brave is its setting. I loved the accents (Merida's, in particular, was a joy to listen to) and I loved the music and the rugged Scottish setting. The animation was just gorgeous.
Speaking of the music, I have loved Julie Fowlis's music for years, and hearing her nightingale-like voice sing in the movie was amazing. Of course, I'm so used to hearing her sing in Scottish Gaelic that the fact she was singing in English gave me quite a start!
It's also an extremely funny movie, and mostly where the mischievous triplets were concerned. As well as Merida's father, the lovable warrior King Fergus.

The story, however, was not perfect. Admittedly, I was expecting something more along the lines of the epic How to Train Your Dragon.
Brave is a different kettle of fish, and is more like a fairy tale than an epic battle between good and evil. And that's not a bad thing. I liked how they set up the fact that Merida and her "mum" were close, and how they don't hate each other--they just don't agree.
Some things, though, could have used a bit more setting up. I don't understand the witch (who, by the way, isn't evil, but simply scatter-brained and therefore dangerous) or the connection with the old legend. My family and I agreed that the way the curse was fixed could have used a bit more explaining.
Also, the way it was fixed was too easy.
And that was my only qualm with it.

Brave is an excellent, though not perfect movie, and I'd definitely recommend seeing it on the big screen.


Favorite Line: The whole "Pretend I'm Merida" bit.


Verdict: Go see it.
Grey Travel Rating: 4/5
Animation: 5/5
Plot: 3/5
Characters: 4/5
Acting: 5/5
Objectionable Content: Men's bare buttocks are shown, mostly as humor, and a woman hides a key in her bosom.

2 Comments:

Unknown June 27, 2012 at 8:40 AM  

The pretend I'm Merida bit was the best part of the movie, oh and Merida's hair, it made me want my long crazy hair back! =)

Artisan of the Shire July 2, 2012 at 9:58 AM  

The scenery was just breathtaking! And I quite love how the horses were done.


I Am An Otter

You're an otter, mate! Another good friend of Redwall, you are a natural swimmer and a deadly fighter especially with a long bow or javellin. Camp Willow is your home, just as Redwall is your second home. You have a good heart and a strong sense of loyalty. You absolutely love Shrimp and Hotroot soup, living by the motto "Ain't nothing 'otter for an Otter!".

  © Blogger templates Romantico by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP