Odd and Sweet

>> Monday, August 20, 2012

The Odd Life of Timothy Green
Rated PG for mild thematic elements and brief language.

If you wish to know this film's plot, I'd recommend watching the trailer below. 'Cause I can't describe it well enough. All I can describe are my feelings.
At first, I was a little iffy about the story. There were a thousand and one ways it couldn't work.
But guess what? It worked.

Me and my family laughed and giggled the entire time. It was great to see how Cindy and Jim dealt with this new child whose origin they had to keep a secret. And I loved the scene where they danced. Other emotions were there, as well. The beginning when they first discovered Timothy was extremely tense, and the movie's ending brought tears to all of our eyes. The entire movie was quite unpredictable.

I really enjoyed how Timothy's innocence brought changes, both permanent and temporary, into the lives of the people he met. And Cindy and Jim had childhood demons of their own to conquer, and I enjoyed seeing them break free in a very un-soap-opera-like way.
Another perk of this movie was how accurately it showed those parents who are determined for their children to be the best at everything, to get into the best college, etc. Timothy had a good heart and a positive attitude, and the way that contrasted with those griping parents was wonderful to see. And it was such a good film about the importance of family.

There are some flaws, of course--I'm not much for narration, maybe one or two scenes were awkward, and Joni was only okay--but I can honestly say that I enjoyed it very, very much.

Timothy Green is not like any other movie I've ever seen. It's somehow ethereal, more like a pleasant daydream than anything else.
And that, I think, is one of the best things about it.


Favorite Line:
Jim: Have a great day.
Cindy: That's too much pressure.
Jim: Have the day that you have.

Verdict: Go see it.
Grey Travel Rating: 4/5
Special Effects: 4/5
Plot: 4/5
Characters: 4/5
Acting: 5/5
Objectionable Content: Uses of the Lord's name in vain twice, and one use of the H-word, although lost amid yelling. A tween girl wears an outfit at a swim party that shows her stomach.

2 Comments:

Kirthi August 21, 2012 at 2:48 PM  

I really want to watch this film! I love nature and dryads, nymphs, elves: and Timothy sounds very earthy and similar, I love it!

Artisan of the Shire August 25, 2012 at 7:20 PM  

Just loved this film- original and magical, and like you said, a story showing the importance and joy of a loving family.


I Am An Otter

You're an otter, mate! Another good friend of Redwall, you are a natural swimmer and a deadly fighter especially with a long bow or javellin. Camp Willow is your home, just as Redwall is your second home. You have a good heart and a strong sense of loyalty. You absolutely love Shrimp and Hotroot soup, living by the motto "Ain't nothing 'otter for an Otter!".

  © Blogger templates Romantico by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP