The Return of...Frodo

>> Monday, January 17, 2011

Apparently, Elijah Wood is going to appear in The Hobbit.
Here's how:

Frodo will be reading Bilbo's account from The Red Book of Westmarch, and as he experiences the tale, so will we.
I hope that doesn't mean he's going to narrate for the entire movie. I simply can't stand narration. And as long as they do it subtly, it just might work.
Now, if this wasn't Peter Jackson, I'd be tearing out my hair and throwing a fit by now. But I have every confidence it his directing skills, so I'm not too concerned.

But there's other things to consider.
The Hobbit shouldn't be treated as a blow-off of The Lord of the Rings.
That means lines like "It's just a ring, what harm can it do?" and "Hobbits will never change the fate of Middle-Earth" should be discouraged.
All I'm saying is that The Hobbit should be an adventure in its own right.
When I'm siting in the theater, I want to watch The Hobbit, not The-Story-We-Never-Mentioned-in-The-Lord-of-the-Rings.

But I'm not worried. Much.

5 Comments:

Artisan of the Shire January 17, 2011 at 9:58 AM  

YAYYAYAYAYAYAYAY (You know that I'm uber-excited here...)

I dunno, I believed long before this was announced (practically ever since the idea of a "Hobbit" movie entered my world) that a film adaption of this book needs a narrator (at least, a partial one that comes in every once in a while), because the book just has that narrated tone to it. Come, they simply MUST start things off with that immortal line "In a hole in the ground..." (Plus I was introduced to it by my wonderful dad who read it out loud, not only narrating, but giving each character a special voice. ^.^

Story Weaver January 17, 2011 at 10:19 AM  

"The Hobbit should be an adventure in its own right."
Agreed.
As for Frodo, I'm glad that we get to see him again, although he's older than when ROTK ended and his reading of The Red Book will most liely occur *before* he set off in the first movie.
So if they can make a person who's older than he was look younger than he was, they have my blessing.

Taranaich January 17, 2011 at 3:57 PM  

That means lines like "It's just a ring, what harm can it do?" and "Hobbits will never change the fate of Middle-Earth" should be discouraged.

For all Jackson's strengths, he has extreme difficulty with subtlety, and can't seem to tell the difference between foreshadowing and anticipating. Sadly, I fully expect lines like the above: "an elf and a dwarf will never be friends," "Sauron is in the past, he'll never trouble the world again," "Saruman is the most trustworthy of all the White Council," "Oh, Sam, you know I'd never leave the Shire," etc.

Marian January 17, 2011 at 4:32 PM  

I'm really glad he's going to be in it! And Legolas, too (though I'm very doubtful as to how Galadriel fits in the story). It's a fine line between continuity with LOTR and originality as The Hobbit, but hopefully it will all work out. :)

Kirthi January 17, 2011 at 6:06 PM  

Hmm. I wanted more Lord of the Rings, because it is one of my most favourite movies. But your right, the Hobbit should be an independent movie. I really hope Legolas will be there ~heart~ ^_^


I Am An Otter

You're an otter, mate! Another good friend of Redwall, you are a natural swimmer and a deadly fighter especially with a long bow or javellin. Camp Willow is your home, just as Redwall is your second home. You have a good heart and a strong sense of loyalty. You absolutely love Shrimp and Hotroot soup, living by the motto "Ain't nothing 'otter for an Otter!".

  © Blogger templates Romantico by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP