The Silver Chair Quotes

>> Friday, January 7, 2011

Picture by Elandain
"Pole, I say, are you good at believing things? I mean things that everyone would laugh at?" "I've never had the chance," said Jill, "but I think I would be."

If Jill had been more used to adventures, she might have doubted the Owl's word, but this never occurred to her: and in the exciting idea of a midnight escape she forgot her sleepiness.

"Oh come on, Pole, buck up," said Scrubb's voice. "After all, it is an adventure." "I'm sick of adventures," said Jill crossly.

"Please, we don't know your name," said Scrubb. "Puddleglum's my name. But it doesn't matter if you forget it. I can always tell you again."

"It's hardly what I call a Chance," said the Marsh-Wiggle. "But it's all the chance we're likely to get."

"Many have taken the ship at the pale arches," replied the Warden, "and-"
"Yes, I know," interrupted Puddleglum. "And few return to the sunlit lands. You needn't say it again. You are a chap of one idea, aren't you?"

"For those words are all that is left of a longer script, which in ancient times, as she well remembered, expressed this verse: Though under Earth and throneless now I be,/Yet, while I lived, all earth was under me."

"There's a stronger smell of danger and lies and magic and treason about this land than I've ever smelled before. We need to keep our eyes and ears open."

"I don't know rightly what you all mean by a world," he said, talking like a man who hasn't enough air. "But you can play that fiddle till your fingers drop off, and still you won't make me forget Narnia; and the whole Overworld too. We'll never see it again, I shouldn't wonder. You may have blotted it out and turned it dark like this, for all I know. Nothing more likely. But I know I was there once. I've seen the sky full of stars. I've seen the sun coming up out of the sea of a morning and sinking behind the mountains at night. And I've seen him up in the midday sky when I couldn't look at him for brightness."

A strong heat smote into their faces, mixed with a smell which was quite unlike any they had ever smelled. It was rich, sharp, exciting, and made you sneeze.

"And you must always remember there's one good thing about being trapped down here: It'll save funeral expenses."

Then Aslan roared so that the sun shook in the sky and thirty feet of the wall fell down before them. They looked through the gap, down into the school shrubbery and onto the roof of the gym, all under the same dull autumn sky which they had seen before their adventures began.

1 Comments:

Marian January 7, 2011 at 2:54 PM  

Great post--I do love this book! It's eerily scary, makes me laugh, and even makes me cry. I love the characters, and I think it may have the most sombre/mysterious plot of all the previous books.

It was interesting how, in the Dawn Treader movie, there was an emphasis in defeating temptations and "inward" darkness. I wonder what the emphasis in Silver Chair is. I can't pinpoint it myself, but I think self-sacrifice and enduring faith is part of it. Unlike Prince Caspian or LWW, there's no expectation of becoming a king/queen, and unlike Dawn Treader, the future seems much less certain in The Silver Chair. Pretty fascinating how a "children's book" can have such real-world relevance! :) Seems underrated, to me.


I Am An Otter

You're an otter, mate! Another good friend of Redwall, you are a natural swimmer and a deadly fighter especially with a long bow or javellin. Camp Willow is your home, just as Redwall is your second home. You have a good heart and a strong sense of loyalty. You absolutely love Shrimp and Hotroot soup, living by the motto "Ain't nothing 'otter for an Otter!".

  © Blogger templates Romantico by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP