What the Heck?

>> Thursday, June 9, 2011

There's a book I've been wanting to read for a while now. It's called "13 Treasures" by Michelle Harrison.
But after researching about it, I think I'm going to have to get a hold of the British edition before I consider some serious reading.

In an interview, the English-born author discussed the differences between the American edition and the British one.
The title, for one thing. In Britain, the original title is "Thirteen Treasures," not "13 Treasures".
Personally, I want to know why. Do the editors think Americans find numbers more eye-catching? Being American myself, I couldn't care less whether it was "13" or "Thirteen". So why did they change it?

Ms. Harrison went on to say that in the US edition, the prologue was cut out! Why? (I seem to be asking that a lot.) Is there some sort of conspiracy against giving Americans the entire book? What can possibly be in the prologue that we can't handle?
Another thing they did was change the characters a bit, and tone down an entire chapter to be "less violent". Oh, and they took out a mention of suicide.
I'm not saying that I absolutely adore violence. It's just...it's part of the book, right? Shouldn't it stay in the book?

I can understand changing a few things in US editions, but this seems just ridiculous. It's almost as if they don't want us to read it. I wonder if they've been doing this to other British books. You know, books that I've actually read.
Have I been missing out on more than I know?

That's just jolly unsporting of them.

5 Comments:

Bethie Engstrom June 9, 2011 at 10:13 AM  

Seriously... they took out the prologue?

Now that is lame.

Story Weaver June 9, 2011 at 12:55 PM  

You know those Americans...they just can't handle violence. ;)

Golden Eagle June 9, 2011 at 4:09 PM  

Good grief. I agree with you--I'm not a fan of violence, but if it's part of the story, a book is often better in its original form.

Izori June 9, 2011 at 4:53 PM  

I read something by Ray Bradbury that portrayed his thoughts on cutting out parts of books (he really doesn't like it). I agree with you. It's all or nothing--please don't lop off parts!

Ivorydancer June 16, 2011 at 2:55 PM  

Well that's nice. I don't get why people do that. Shouldn't that be illegal or something? It makes me wonder if the books I've read by foreign authors are REALLY their books or not. Hmmmmmm


Thank you for your comment btw. I'm glad you enjoyed it :)


I Am An Otter

You're an otter, mate! Another good friend of Redwall, you are a natural swimmer and a deadly fighter especially with a long bow or javellin. Camp Willow is your home, just as Redwall is your second home. You have a good heart and a strong sense of loyalty. You absolutely love Shrimp and Hotroot soup, living by the motto "Ain't nothing 'otter for an Otter!".

  © Blogger templates Romantico by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP