Book Tag

>> Saturday, June 4, 2011

Got this tag from All That is Gold, and I simply had to do it.

1. A fictional character you identify with and why.
Cornelia from Cornelia and the Audacious Escapades of the Somerset Sisters. She's shy and enjoys large books, words, and stories of far-off lands. Just like me.

2. Your earliest memory of reading or being read to.
My father reading a picture book to me.

3. Your favourite book aged 9 ½, or 13 ¾, whichever you remember best.
The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe.

4. The book that’s been on your shelves the longest.
The New Horizon's World Guide.

5. A book you acquired in some interesting way.
Tunnels by Roderick Gordon and Brian Williams. It originally belonged to a library, who caught me in the act of underlining my favorite quotes. It was discarded and I promptly paid for it.

6. A book with a story for you, that reminds you of something specific in your life (a person, a place, a time).
Swallows and Amazons by Arthur Ransome. Reminds me of me and my sisters when we were kids. We played pirates and other games of imagination.

7. What fictional character are you (secretly) in love with.
Dustfinger from the Inkheart trilogy by Cornelia Funke.

8. The last book you acquired, and how (begged, bought, borrowed?)
King Arthur by Roger Lancelyn Green, bought for only five dollars at my local Barnes and Nobles.

9. Your current read, your last read and the book you’ll read next.
Vampirates: Tide of Terror by Justin Somper. I last read Robinson Crusoe and I'll be reading The Travels of Marco Polo next.

10. What author do you own the most books by and why?
Lemony Snicket's Series of Unfortunate Events. There's thirteen, after all.

11. Do you own multiple copies of any book? What are they? Why do you have multiple copies?
The Slippery Slope by Lemony Snicket. I bought my first copy and many of my relatives sent me multiple ones.

12. Book borrowing – do you use the library? Do you prefer to try before you buy? What about lending your books to friends? Are you a good borrower, do you remember to return books?
I use the library. And of course I read a book before I buy it. My vast collection often is begged to be borrowed, but I'm usually hesitant as few books ever return... Actually, right now I'm waiting for my copy of Martin the Warrior to be given back. I think I'm pretty good about returning borrowed books.

13. Do you reread a lot? Why (not)? Name a book you have reread many times.
Only if it's a stupendous book. The book I must have read the most is Inkheart by Cornelia Funke. My paperback copy of it is falling apart because I've read it so much.

14. What is the best book you’ve read in the past year?
The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart.

15. Do you recommend books to other people? If you could force everyone you know to read one book, what would it be?
Yes, I recommend books. But if I could get everyone I knew to read just one book, it would be The Book of Mormon.

16. Adaptation: What book would you most like to see made into a film? Do you like to read the book first or see the film? Any books you have read after seeing the film version?
I would like to see a well-made, non-musical version of Les Miserables. (Pleeeeease!) And I usually read the book before I see the film. But to my absolute horror and despair, I waited until after the film to read The Lord of the Rings. I won't be making the same mistake with The Hobbit.

17. What is the most difficult book you’ve ever read?
Le Morte D'Arthur. Seven-hundred pages, and all without proper punctuation!

18. Your favourite book series and your favourite book out of that series.
I'm torn between The Lord of the Rings and Redwall. Out of LOTR, it's The Fellowship of the Ring; Out of Redwall, it's Mossflower.

19. Your favourite picture, junior fiction and Young Adult books.
My favorite picture book of all time is Edwina: The Dinosaur Who Didn't Know She Was Extinct by Mo Willems. Favorite junior fiction is Redwall, and favorite YA...Well, does The Lord of the Rings count?

20. Least favourite plot device employed by way too many books you actually enjoyed otherwise.
When the good guys are benevolent toward the bad guys and let them live to wreck even greater chaos!

21. A book you thought you wouldn’t like but ended up loving.
A Wrinkle in Time by Madeline L'Engle.

22. Your "comfort" book.
The Fellowship of the Ring (This is just getting ridiculous...)

23. Favourite book cover including a picture!
Vampirates: Demons of the Ocean by Justin Somper.












24. Favourite fictional relationship (romantic, friendship, familial).
Decisions, decisions. Luckily I have a favorite couples list. Let's see, I'm going to have to say Allan a Dale and Ellen from Robin Hood.

25. Most annoying character ever.
Mr. Collins from Pride and Prejudice. His irritating behavior is legendary.

26. Most quotable novel or 5 of your favourite quotes from any books.
The novel I quote the most is either Inkheart or (surprise, surprise) The Lord of the Rings.

27. Any five books from your "to be read" stack. What makes you select a book for your “to be read” stack?
The Art of War for Writers, The Call of the Wild by Jack London, Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen, The Travels of Marco Polo, and The Complete Stories and Poems of Edgar Allan Poe.

28. Some firsts: First book you remember loving/being obsessed with. First book that made you cry. First book you gave to someone else as a gift.
The first book I ever obsessed over was The Lord of the Rings. The Bellmaker by Brian Jacques was the first book that made me cry. And for my sister I got Stories of the French Revolution by Marcelle and George Huisman.

29. Saddest character death OR best/most satisfying character death (or both!)
Either Dustfinger from Inkheart or Gandalf (I'm not even going to bother mentioning what he's from.)

30. The End: do you prefer everything tied up or to be able to 'make up your own mind'? What is the worst ending to a book you have read? And the best? (careful, spoiler tags!)
I prefer everything to be tied up, but not everything perfect. The worst book ending I ever read was in Bright Shadow by Avi. Everyone died and nothing got accomplished. My favorite book ending was probably in Fablehaven: Secrets of the Dragon Sanctuary. There was a huge, explosive plot twist that literally took my breath away.

1 Comments:

Artisan of the Shire June 8, 2011 at 9:58 AM  

This was epic fun. (LOTR, LOTR, LOTR... Redwall, Redwall, Redwall... Unfortunate Events... :) )


I Am An Otter

You're an otter, mate! Another good friend of Redwall, you are a natural swimmer and a deadly fighter especially with a long bow or javellin. Camp Willow is your home, just as Redwall is your second home. You have a good heart and a strong sense of loyalty. You absolutely love Shrimp and Hotroot soup, living by the motto "Ain't nothing 'otter for an Otter!".

  © Blogger templates Romantico by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP