Allan & Ellen

>> Monday, August 2, 2010

Anyone who knows me knows that I'm a major Robin Hood fan. Not the TV series (though they are pretty entertaining), but of the books. I adore the way they run rings around the sheriff. But most of all I love the romance in it.

If you're not fond of romance, refrain from rolling your eyes, please.

I'm not talking about Marian and Robin. Sure, they're a pretty sweet couple. But my favorite couple in the book is one that's almost been forced into obscurity: Allan a Dale and Ellen. I seriously love those two.

Ellen, the daughter of a knight, falls in love with the poor minstrel Allan a Dale. But her legal guardian chases Allan away, and forces Ellen to marry one called Sir Richard. Tragic, isn't it? So of course Allan gets help from the famed outlaw of Sherwood. They crash the wedding and save the day. And instead of Ellen being forced to marry Sir Richard, she gets to marry Allan.

Never heard of it? You have now.

6 Comments:

Marian August 2, 2010 at 10:15 AM  

I have that book! Maybe I should read it...I'm kind of a BBC Allan a Dale fan (when he's a good guy, that is). :)

Artisan of the Shire August 2, 2010 at 2:34 PM  

Ah man, perhaps the version I've read does not include this couple? *shall have to look further..*

Juniper August 2, 2010 at 4:13 PM  

I have two Versions the Original were he Dies by the hand of the Sherif and the 3rd new one where its the Sherifs daughter who kills him... I Like the first one the most becuase maid Marion doesnt Marry Robin right away . the other one starts when they Get married ....

I Talk alot and this is the most i've ever Typed on a Blog Comment ..

GB
Galadheil

P.S would you check this out I am starting a Design studio ...
http://homschoolerstorys.blogspot.com/p/designs.html

Caroline August 4, 2010 at 12:59 PM  

You said--I've heard of it now.:) I never did know about these two before, but ditto to Marian, my favorite character in the BBC tv series (which is also my favorite version of RH) is Allan. Methinks I need to read the original:).

Celtic Traveler August 7, 2010 at 12:28 PM  

Well, I've seen it, but I've never read it.

Maybe I should

Anonymous August 17, 2010 at 5:36 PM  

Haha!
That's funny - I don't like the minstrel Allan. He's too girly. I love the BBC Allan, however - he's hilarious and charming.
But I DO love all the old Robin Hood books - I have quite a few versions!
They DO run rings around the sheriff, don't they? :) Truly 'merry' men!
~ Mirriam


I Am An Otter

You're an otter, mate! Another good friend of Redwall, you are a natural swimmer and a deadly fighter especially with a long bow or javellin. Camp Willow is your home, just as Redwall is your second home. You have a good heart and a strong sense of loyalty. You absolutely love Shrimp and Hotroot soup, living by the motto "Ain't nothing 'otter for an Otter!".

  © Blogger templates Romantico by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP