Wreck-It Ralph: A Non-Gamer's Review

>> Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Wreck-It Ralph
Rated PG for some rude humor and mild action/violence.

I'll be the first to admit, I am not the intended audience. I am not a gamer. At all.
So the fact that I actually enjoyed this film is slightly shocking.

Wreck-It Ralph is a film with surprising depth and emotion, as well as some satisfactory twists at the end. Somehow it left me feeling much more fulfilled than this year's Pixar project.
Admittedly, it didn't pick up until he agreed to assist Vanellope. Then I actually got to sit back and enjoy it as Ralph and his little charge created chaos in their candy-coated world, and got to appreciate each other more. The moral was handled extremely well, and I had no idea how Ralph was going to manage to get out of the muddle he found himself in.
And though I expected all of the video game jokes and references to fly over my head, there was actually nothing that I didn't understand (or at least I didn't notice that I didn't understand.)
And yes, there were many crude jokes on bodily functions, but clean jokes were slipped in for older viewers, so I found myself laughing constantly. However, flaws included Calhoun's awkward back-story shown in flashbacks, and King Candy becoming a bug at the end (I was confused on that part until one of my movie buddies leaned over and reminded me that whatever the bugs eat becomes the bug. Right. They probably should have explained that better.)

While the film was more FUN than inspiring, I rather liked and really enjoyed it. It's not destined to be a favorite, but I will see it again on DVD. Preferably on a Friday night with a box of pepperoni pizza.

Favorite Line: "How many licks does it take to reach the center?"
Verdict: Wait for the DVD, although I'm highly tempted to tell you to go see it in theaters simply so you can enjoy the breathtaking animated short "Paperman" in HD and surround sound.

Grey Travel Rating: 3/5

Animation: 5/5

Plot: 4/5

Characters: 4/5

Acting: 4/5

Objectionable Content: A zombie's heart is pulled from his chest, mostly as humor, but it has a certain gross factor. Some mild crude humor involving bodily functions.

0 Comments:


I Am An Otter

You're an otter, mate! Another good friend of Redwall, you are a natural swimmer and a deadly fighter especially with a long bow or javellin. Camp Willow is your home, just as Redwall is your second home. You have a good heart and a strong sense of loyalty. You absolutely love Shrimp and Hotroot soup, living by the motto "Ain't nothing 'otter for an Otter!".

  © Blogger templates Romantico by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP