Redwall VS. The Wind in the Willows

>> Wednesday, April 28, 2010

The Wind in the Willows has always been one of my all-time favorite books. Its heartwarming, enchanting, and just plain classic. Of course, I feel the same way about Redwall. Obviously.
Please bear with me as I do yet another animal book face-off.

DIFFERENCES
.Redwall is more medieval
.Rats and Toads evil in Redwall, though Toad in WITW is a bit of a nuisance
.No pistols in Redwall
.Moles don't have those adorable accents in WITW
.Redwall has no cars
.No Christmas in Redwall
.Humans in WITW, but not in Redwall
.No satyrs or regular countries in Redwall. Or gypsies, either, unless you count the Shrews. (They've always reminded me of gypsies.)

SIMILARITIES
.Rats, moles, badgers, hedgehogs, rabbits, toads, stoats, weasels, foxes, otters
.Moles, badgers, hedgehogs, otters-GOOD
.Stoats, weasels, foxes-BAD
.Picnics
.Badgers like being loners
.Cluny's haycart is similar to Toad's caravan and the bargewoman's barge.
.Moles are sensible
.Weasels and stoats invade
.One word: swords
Picture by David Peterson

3 Comments:

Anonymous April 28, 2010 at 5:17 AM  

lol... well, i've never read the Redwall series, so I guess that means I'm partial...

Wind in the Willows all the way!!! :D

Artisan of the Shire April 28, 2010 at 8:20 AM  

Yeah, I've always thought the Guosim were like gypsies.
I love the WITW picture you found! It's by the artist who is the author of the Mouse Guard series, which is, IMO, very well done. Ever heard of it?

Celtic Traveler April 28, 2010 at 3:14 PM  

Heard of it?
I ADORE the Mouse Guard series!
That's how I found the picture


I Am An Otter

You're an otter, mate! Another good friend of Redwall, you are a natural swimmer and a deadly fighter especially with a long bow or javellin. Camp Willow is your home, just as Redwall is your second home. You have a good heart and a strong sense of loyalty. You absolutely love Shrimp and Hotroot soup, living by the motto "Ain't nothing 'otter for an Otter!".

  © Blogger templates Romantico by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP