Ripping Off an Irish Fairytale

>> Thursday, March 4, 2010


I recently watched 'Penelope' for the first time. While everyone was exclaiming what an original fairy tale it was, I just sat back with my arms folded thinking, Uh-huh. Right. They took an old Irish story that nobody's heard of.

Except me.

I'm telling you, the similarities are astounding!

.The movie: A witch curses Penelope's great grandad, so she's born with the face of a pig. The only way to break the curse is to marry a blue-blood.

.The tale: In the story of Oisin & Tir Na Nog, a girl named Niamh is cursed BY HER DAD to have the FACE OF A PIG. The only way to BREAK THE CURSE IS TO MARRY a son of Finn, or Oisin.

Sound familiar? Thought so.
The only thing Irish in the movie was the pub.
But, still.

2 Comments:

Izori March 4, 2010 at 8:58 AM  

I've heard of that fairy tale somewhere. I can't remember where, though.

Anonymous March 10, 2010 at 8:43 AM  

That...is the WIERDEST fairy tale I have ever heard. ;)

God Bless You,
Saerwen


I Am An Otter

You're an otter, mate! Another good friend of Redwall, you are a natural swimmer and a deadly fighter especially with a long bow or javellin. Camp Willow is your home, just as Redwall is your second home. You have a good heart and a strong sense of loyalty. You absolutely love Shrimp and Hotroot soup, living by the motto "Ain't nothing 'otter for an Otter!".

  © Blogger templates Romantico by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP